In case of imminent endangerment of the environment, BALSA GmbH undertakes the projecting and realisation of measures for the protection / remediation of affected properties.
Contaminated siteT5 “Rum roofing felt factory”
On this location in the municipal area of Rum, a pit-coal-creosote-distillery was run in the period 1908 – 1959. The production was primarily focused on roofing felt, asphalt and other tar products. In 1960, within the scope of a changeover of the company, the crude materials were substituted by mineral oil. Up to this time, the surface of the company grounds was unfortified. In the course of the construction of a new gas station in 1990, soil and groundwater contaminations, inflicted by the roofing felt plant, were detected.
Remediation is carried out by
- hydraulic measures (safety wells, cleaning of groundwater, infiltration wells, pump & treat technology);
- decontamination by removal of heavily contaminated subsoil areas (hot-spots), mainly by large diameter gripple drillings;
- processing of a pilot test to verify the applicability of in-situ measures.
Assignments of BALSA:
Complete realisation and management of remediation measures:
- conceptual planning / project-filing / detailed planning
- planning and management of detailed exploration
- planning of remediation measures
- carrying out of tendering and award procedures
- all subtasks of project management and project steering
Carrying out of remediation measures has been concluded at the end of 2013.
The groundwater purification plant is still in operation as a hydraulic safeguard of the site.
Rum roofing felt factory (area view)BALSA GmbHInterim storage of contaminated excavation material – Sheet pile boxesBALSA GmbHClearing of subsoil in the space of an operational plantBALSA GmbHDemolition of contaminated underground structuresBALSA GmbHLarge diameter gripple drillingBALSA GmbHExcavation material – Heavily contaminated with tar oilBALSA GmbHExcavation material – Heavily contaminated with tar oilBALSA GmbH
Photogallery Altlast T5 “Dachpappenfabrik Rum”